Italian Sausage Stuffed Hero Sandwich
- 1 Round loaf of Italian bread unsliced
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large onion – I like sweet onions best
- 3 Cloves of fresh minced garlic
- 1 Green bell pepper
- I Red bell pepper – Seed and dice peppers
- 1 Cup tomato sauce>
- 1 Cup sliced black olives
- 3 Lbs (6 cups) Italian Country Style Sausage from The Live Butcher – Don’t try it with anything else!
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ Cups shredded Mozzarella cheese – I like to use Stella brand whole milk mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Slice off the top of the loaf of bread so you can expose the soft inside of the bread.
- Carefully take out the inner bread leaving about an inch thick shell
- Heat Olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I like to use my mother’s cast iron skillet.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell peppers and sauté for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add tomato sauce, olives, Italian Country Style Sausage and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded Mozzarella
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the hollowed out bread shell.
- Replace the top of the loaf onto the bread
- Wrap the whole loaf in heavy duty foil
- Place wrapped loaf into preheated oven
- When the time is up, remove from oven and unwrap the loaf
- Remove the top and separately slice the loaf and the top into wedges
- Replace tops and serve